1. Admission to UP Sainik School takes place once a year in April. Boys in the age group of 10½ to 12 years and 12 ½ to 14 years who have passed class VI and VIII and have qualified in the state wide competitive examination; interview and a medical examination are selected for admission in class VII and IX respectively to study at UP Sainik School. Normally 50 Cadets are selected for admission in class VII and 35 cadets for admission in class IX every year.
The written examination for selection of the candidates is normally held in January every year. The actual dates of the examination are notifed in all the leading regional newspapers (Hindi and English).
Applcation for admission is required to be submitted to the Principal, U.P. Sainik School.
2. Candidates are selected only from amongst the boys domiciled in Uttar Pradesh. Only male candidates having age of more than 10½ years and less than 12 years on 02 July of the year in which admission is sought are eligible for class VII. The age of candidates seeking admission in class-IX will be between 12½ to 14 years. The proof of correct date of birth in the form of a Certificate from the head of the recognized educational institution last attended or attending, duly countersigned by the concerned district Education authorities must be submitted with the application for admission. If the boy is finally selected he will not be admitted in the school unless he produces the last school leaving Certificate at the time of admission duly countersigned by the concerned District Education authorities, if he has not already submitted it with the application. Candidates must have pased class VI from a recognized institution. Those studying in class VI and otherwise eligible can also take the admission examination provided they pass class VI before joining the Institution and produce a Certifcate to that effect from the head of the recognized institution in which they are/were studying.
3.1 For admission to the School, the candidates must qualify in the written examination, consisting of two question papers, i.e., Mathematics & Language ability (Hindi & English) General Knowledge and intelligence test. During evaluation of answer scripts Maths will be considered as the `Core Subject' and those candidates who fail to secure a minimum percentage as decided by the Principal in the core subject will not qualify for evaluation of their answer scripts in other subject. Admission is granted on the basis of merit after interview and Medical Examination. 10 seats are declared as Part of Payment seats. The fee structure of the Payment seat-would be double the normal fee. Payment seats therefore will be offered to the candidates in order of merit till the merit rank of 100 only.
3.2 The Scheme of examination will be as under :-
(a) Mathematics -150 Marks - 2 hours
(b) General Knowledge, Language skills (Hindi & English) and Intelligence test -150 Marks - 2 hours
4.1. The Written examination is held at the following centres in Uttar Pradesh :
(a) Agra (d) Faizabad (g) Meerut
(b) Allahabad (e) Gorakhpur (h) Varanasi
(c) Bareilly (f) Jhansi (i) Lucknow
4.2. The entrance test will be completed in a day only.
5. The Sandard of the written examination is that of class VI/VIII of U.P. Board/Central Board of Secondary Education/ Council for Indian School Certificate Examination for admission to class-VII/IX respectively.
6. Results of the Written examination are published in the leading newspapers (Hindi and English) and displayed on the School Notice Board.
7. The candidates qualifying in the written examination are interviewed at the U.P. Sainik School by a Selection Board consisting of the Principal U.P. Sainik School, an Army Officer not below the rank of Major deputed by the local formation Headquarters, a senior psychologist from the Education Department of the U.P. State and a team of school masters.
8. The candidates who qualify at the interview are required to appear before a Military medical Board on payment of Rs. 100/- for gen and OBC candidates & Rs. 50/- for SC/ST Candidates. The standard of medical fitness is given at appendix 'B'. The findings of the Military Medical Board are final and binding. No review authority is permissible and no correspondence on the subject is entertained.
9. Finally a merit list is prepared and candidates are admitted according to their placement in the merit list, the number of vacancies available and medical fitness.
10. The candidates are required to make their own arrangements for boarding and lodging in connection with examination, interviews and medical examination. No TA/DA is admissible.
11. Under no circumstances, will the candidates or their parents, guardians, relatives or friends be permitted to approach any officer of the School or any other person connected with the selection of candidates. Any attempt to do so will disqualify the candidate.
12. Reservation in admission is provided as per Govt. orders on the subject. Existing reservation is as follows:-
OBC - 27%
SC - 21%
ST - 2%
13. The parent/guardian of each Cadet is required to execute an agreement to the effect that if his ward does not appear at the N.D.A. Entrance Examination of the Union Public Service Commission or having taken the examination does not join NDA, if selected he would have to refund the entire amount spent on his son/ward during his stay at the School. This will also be the position if he leaves the school at any intermediate stage.